18 November 2013

Bavel

Sorry for the long hiatus. It can be hard to find time to write between study and sleeping and... that's pretty much it, actually. I'll probably get something up about Hanukah soonish. Any topics of particular interest for subsequent posts?

I recently read the Iggeret of Rav Sherira Gaon, one of our earliest sources for the line of transmission of the Torah Shebaal Peh (oral law), and it has left me with a lot of questions, mostly about the Babylonian community prior to the Amoraic period (when the gemara was written).

Here is what I know about it: while there may have been some presence earlier, the bulk of the community formed through a series of exiles in the early 6th century BCE, mostly of the educated populace and political class. In exile, they prospered, and although they were allowed to return after the Persians conquered Babylon in 538 BCE, most did not. As far as I can tell from Rav Sherira Gaon, it seems that the centre of Jewish scholarship may have stayed there, despite the departure of the anshei haknesset hagedola (men of the great assembly). He claims that most of the zugot (pairs, leading scholars of the proto-Mishnaic era) were Babylonians who made aliya to lead the court in Jerusalem. It is possible that there were not great schools in Eretz Yisrael until Hillel and Shammai, last of the zugot, founded their academies. For the next two hundred years or so, the Babylonian centre is clearly secondary, but not entirely quiescent. He describes activity somewhat parallel to the compilation of the mishna and tosefta going on in Bavel, with the baraita collection of Mar Shmuel being of comparable quality to the tosefta (if you need a glossary for that sentence, skip it for now, ask me later). Philo describes it as large and wealthy, but doesn't say much.

So, basically I am frustrated by the paucity of sources. I suppose I would mainly focus on three categories of ignorance. First, we have none of the output of that time, and we don't even know what is missing (except, I suppose, the baraitot of Mar Shmuel and the mishna of Rav Nissim). Presumably, a centre of scholarship of that scale and duration produced a lot of important Torah, and it would be nice to have access to some of it. Second, I would like to know something about the cultural exchange that occurred there with non-Jews. Comparisons of Judaism to Zoroastrianism, Hinduism, and Buddhism are pretty much in their infancy, as though the only significant point of contact with the rest of the world was the western one with Greece and Rome. Third, the political situation was quite interesting. Before Hanukah time, Mesopotamia was one of the most important provinces of the Seleucid Empire, the Syro-Greek antagonists in Judea, and right around then it passed into Arsacid hands, a local Persian dynasty that ultimately split the Seleucids with Rome. What degree of contact was there between the Jewish communities in this time of flux and revolution? Were the Jews of Bavel also oppressed by the Greeks? Did they have a role in the end of Seleucid power there?

Anyway, if anyone is interested in a career in archaeology and looking for a period to study, keep it in mind. Also interested in wild, groundless speculation, if there is any on offer.

Yeshiva life goes on. We had a shabbaton down south a couple weeks ago, which was very nice. Lovely hiking, Sephardic food. I found out that hail is surprisingly painful, and its aftermath is surreal on a warm, sunny afternoon in a desert town with piles of ice lying here and there. I also got to play a bunch of chess and go, which was enormous fun.
One of the rabbis' sons was married, so I got to see a Sephardic wedding. The dancing was very confusing. They seemed to be dancing in concentric circles more or less like Ashkenazim, albeit with different rhythm and footwork, but the circles ended up not being closed or concentric or stable in any way, and I kept finding myself on the edge of the dance floor and no longer holding hands with anyone no matter where I started or what I did. So I enjoyed the wine and called it a night.
Thursday, a few of us (mostly D&D crew) went to a medieval festival in the old city. Started off underwhelming, cheesy costumes and not much use of the fantastic medieval scenery, but there were a couple parts that really tugged at my heartstrings. There was a craft fair, and the potter there reminded me of my late teacher, Ursula Kaplowitz. In terms of midot (character traits), I can't think of anyone else outside my family who had a greater impact on me, modelling patience and kindness like a saint with every student, no matter how rambunctious or inattentive. Then there was a station with music and space for dancing, and I had a hard time with that, too, but in a good way. Basically, I have to get married. If they had played a waltz, I might have started crying.

7 comments:

  1. Very nice post, Ethan. I miss you! I love your tribute to Ursula--so true about her never-ending patience and kindness, and I definitely see that influence in you. And remember you can still dance with some people before you are married--I, for one, can't wait to dance with you at Rachel and Zach's wedding! Love you so very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Molly! Can't wait to see you. Love you, too.

      Delete
  2. Great post Ethan. I have enjoyed listening to a series of recorded lectures on "The Beginnings of Judaism" by Professor Isaiah Gafni of Hebrew University. Lucid, interesting and penetrating. And I see he has a prize-winning book on THe Jews of Talmudic Babylonia: A Cultural and Social History. Check it out and let me know if you find it helpful. See you at the wedding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds interesting. I'm not sure where to look for English books around here, and I don't think my Hebrew is up to an academic history, but I will keep it in mind for the future. Can't wait to see you!

      Delete
  3. Hi E. Not much to offer in the way of wild speculation on the history you allude to, and certainly no well-founded thoughts. I was interested to see that the Hebrew for Babylonia is Bavel. I assume this is the same word used to refer to the Babel of the biblical tower - if so, an interesting nod to Babylonia as the cradle of civilization. It makes me think about the contrasting attitudes of ancient Hebrews toward the two great ancient powers of the Region - Bavel and Mizraim. Any reason why they would have located the origins of civilization in Babylonia instead of Egypt? One likely explanation is that Abraham actually came from Sumer, and the patriarchs continued to nurture a connection to this homeland, returning to find brides in every generation. It sort of makes me think of American attitudes toward Britain - somewhat conflicted, but basically affectionate.

    If one compares the two exiles (in Egypt versus Babylonia), in both cases, large numbers of Israelites did not return to the promised land when able. I find it interesting that those who stayed behind in Egypt are written off and essentially disowned, while those who stayed in Babylonia remained accepted members, and even leading lights of the evolving broader Jewish community. Especially when you consider that the Egyptian exile was self-imposed, while the Babylonian exile was forced upon us.

    Not sure what to make of all this - perhaps a topic for a future post?

    Your Loving Adversary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that it is important to distinguish between civilization and the centralization of power. Civilization dates back to before the flood, where we see the origins of cities, agriculture, industry, art, and science. The novelty of the migdal and Nimrod the hunter (of men, midrashically) is the subjugation of the individual to collective or dictatorial will, and is not viewed with much nostalgia.

      Delete
  4. Hmmm . . . now you are exciting the anarchist radical in me. Should we make a distinction between civilization and the centralization of power? I'm not so sure.

    ReplyDelete