09 August 2013

I am in Israel...

...even if I have barely been outside to see it.
Chodesh tov! I hope you all had a lovely start to Elul. I am now settled, my jet-lag largely past, albeit at the cost of maariv last night. There is a good group of guys here, although I have not been struck by any strong desire to be friends with anyone in particular. However, such feelings have had only modest correlation with actual friendships formed in the past, so I don't make much of it. I was placed into the lowest level, but classes are enjoyable even so. I do need the vocabulary. Still, I have hope of swift advancement.
My classes:
Gemara with Rabbi Eliezer Kwass, a mild-mannered YU/Har Etzion alumnus. Starting with the third perek in Rosh Hashanah, talking about sanctification of the new moons. As one would expect at this level, it goes slowly. We have barely finished translating the first mishna, with very little discussion of the questions that it raises. 
Mishna and Hashkafa with Rabbi Aryeh Goldshmiedt, a sectless Chassid (I had no idea there was such a thing). He so far seems willing to allow me to derail the class, so we may not get to the mishna much. We have been discussing Rav Kook's views on teshuva. Also had a nice debate over the following question: when we say that we are motivated to observe mitzvot because God tells us to, is the relationship more comparable to that between spouses or that between student and teacher?
Hebrew with Rabbi Abraham Fischer. Looks good, as it should be. Language skills definitely feel like my most pressing concern right now.
Halakha with Rabbi Yitzchak Lerner, a gregarious fellow who takes a brass tacks approach to Judaism. One interesting tid-bit: the Mishna Brurah forbids cutting one's nails in order. 
Once a week shiur with Rosh HaYeshiva, Rabbi Yitzchak Hirshfeld. Very interesting. Took a Rambam that seemed to flat out contradict a mishna, and almost but didn't quite resolve it through a later rishon. Also on the third perek of Rosh Hashanah.

Anyway, I need to wake up absurdly early for Shacharit, so I am off to bed. For my next post, a vote:
I can expand on any of those topics, if the short version piqued some interest.
I can do something similar to this, see if new topics of greater interest come up in the next few days.
I can write up my family history, to the best of my knowledge.
In honor of the new talks, I can give over my views on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
I am also open to suggestions.
So, what do the people want to see?

Shabbat Shalom,
-Ethan

8 comments:

  1. All sounds fascinating (this morning I cut my nails - in the prescribed out-of-order order!). Also had never heard of a sectless Chassid . . . is he just into the philosophy of the Ba'al Shem Tov, then?

    Shabbat Shalom, my friend! Enjoy the Land!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you're settled in.
    That question about mitzvot is interesting; I think it's both, at different stages. What did you come up with?
    I think all of those options are good,in turns, but I'd especially love to hear about the daily craziness of israel (kotel? Is Shoshana still collecting on the steps? Israeli-Arab-American encounters? Discovered nooks and treasures? etc.) Definitely write up the A.I.C. as you see it now; it'll be fun to see how your theories will change/stay the same in 3 months. :)
    Shabbat shalom from west of Eden!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shalom chaveirot! My understanding is that Rabbi Goldshmiedt started off with Breslav, went with Chabad for a while, and then found that he enjoyed being a Rebbe-less chassid so much that he took it a step further and decided to just do his own thing. I think that in the end we were just arguing from opposite sides of the yirah/ahavah dichotomy, and so you are correct that both are valid and important. I still have a hard time with the position that we do things for God's sake, or to make Him happy, because I cannot accept that God depends on us in any way, or that we can change Him in any way. Maybe I am deficient in ahavat Hashem; I guess I should read chovos halevavos and find out. In the meantime, I am content to rely on my understanding, that God's will is the basis of the world and thus reflects objective truth, whereas my own is purely subjective and thus ought to be subordinate.

    Shabbat Shalom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shabbat Shalom Ethan! I am glad you are starting this blog! For the less religious and Hebrew proficient folks following your blog, I would greatly appreciate it if you would start a Glossary so I can look up anything that I am unsure about. Basically anything that is in Hebrew. In terms of topics to cover, I am really really interested and worried about women in Israel and I would be interested in your feelings about this article: http://www.newrepublic.com/article/114124/israels-orthodox-women-new-face-feminism
    Additionally, I would be interested in your observances and considerations on the Israeli daily life and the development of the government moving forward. It seems to me of vital importance for all Jews all over the world.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glossary:
    Chodesh tov- Happy new month
    Elul- name of this month
    maariv- evening prayers
    Gemara- commentary on the mishna, together making up the talmud
    mishna- collection of statements from rabbis of the second temple period and the subsequent century
    perek- chapter
    Rosh Hashanah- in this context, one tractate of the talmud
    hashkafa- Jewish philosophy and theology
    Chassid- member of a branch of Judaism started in the eighteenth century by the Ba'al Shem Tov, generally practiced in sects centred on rabbinic dynasties.
    Rav Kook- first chief rabbi of Palestine
    teshuva- repentance
    mitzvot- commandments
    Halakha- Jewish law
    Mishna Brurah- widely accepted text of Jewish laws relating to daily life, commentary on the Shulchan Aruch, and earlier code of law that is also widely followed
    Rosh HaYeshiva- head of the yeshiva
    Rambam- also known as Moshe ben Maimon or Maimonides, very influential Spanish/Moroccan/Egyptian rabbi of the medieval period
    rishon- any influential rabbi of the medieval period
    shacharit- morning prayers

    Hope that helps,
    Shabbat Shalom!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So far the poll is tied, one for Arab Israeli conflict and one for women in Judaism. Anyone else going to weigh in?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the glossary, would you mind doing it for each new post. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete