26 August 2013

Quick note

Not too much substance to this post, just some questions. As I noted in my first post, my intention in starting this blog was to keep in touch with my friends and family around the world during my time in Israel. I don't think that my views on various topics are so profound that it is important for me to put out my opinions for public consumption, so a monologue entirely misses the objective. Obviously, you needn't force yourselves to comment if you don't have much to say about a topic, but I would appreciate some feedback. What would make it easier for you to participate in dialogue? Should I write shorter posts on narrower topics? Would another medium be preferable? Should I be asking specific questions instead of making statements and asking for responses generally? Would other topics be more interesting?

So as not to be entirely preachy and boring, I'll throw in some more details about life here.
I have just been reassigned to the third gemara level, starting tomorrow morning. At this rate, I will be at the highest level offered well before chanukah, although I expect that things will slow down.
The bein hazmanim breaks are of extremely variable length. When I came to visit last summer, a zman was just ending, which meant there would be no classes Sunday and only a half day on Monday. By contrast, after this Elul zman, we have off from Yom Kippur until Rosh Chodesh Cheshvan -- about three weeks. Hopefully, that will be a good time to track down the distant family that I would like to meet.
Shabbat is somewhat confusing, emotionally. As far as I can tell, it doesn't seem noticeably more spiritual than a good shabbat at home, but the crash afterward is much worse. I often get moody and withdrawn in the aftermath of shabbat or yom tov, but twice in a row now, around eleven o'clock motzei shabbat, I have had a sense of isolation, particularly from God, that is almost physically painful and too strong to allow concentration on study. I suppose I should use this for teshuva, but I don't really know how. I suppose two does not quite a pattern make, and I didn't notice it so much the first week here.
This week, shabbat was hosted by the rabbi of the highest gemara shiur, a Brisker who had a fun question and answer session where he seemed to enjoy doing his best to shock any liberal sensibilities in the group. Asserting, for instance, that dina d'malkhutah dina does not apply in Israel, and that we should minimize friendship with girls because they interfere with spiritual growth, and implying that all non-gemara classes should be canceled to make time for more gemara. Even he was stymied, however, when one enterprising bochur asked, "What do we talk to our wives about? Sure, I can see fifteen minutes or so, but then what? We can hardly learn gemara with them!"
We just had our first joint event with Midreshet Rachel; unsurprisingly, it was an engagement party. And there was a mechitza across the entire room all night.

Shalom,
-Ethan

11 comments:

  1. Glossary:
    bein hazmanim- between sessions
    zman- session
    Yom Kippur- 10th of the month of Tishrei
    Rosh Chodesh Cheshvan- 1st of Cheshvan, the subsequent month
    yom tov- holidays
    motzei shabbat- Saturday night
    teshuva- repentance, more or less
    Brisk- a yeshiva whose Israeli branch is rather right wing
    dina d'malkhutah dina- obligation to obey secular laws

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't see the problem. If all you can talk about, even with women, is Gemara, then learn Gemara with your wife. Problem solved :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a solid solution. I might also say, if all you can talk about is gemara, then your gemara learning will probably suffer from lack of breadth and application, and therefore he has a self-defeating position. Therefore, he ought to learn to also talk about other things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. writing shorter, narrower posts would definitely help me respond sooner -- i find that most of your posts have so much in them that i get inspired to write really long responses, and they just never get written.

    congratulations on moving up in shiurim -- i believe that you can handle it, and that the only reason why you were in the bottom to begin with was because you'd never been in yeshiva before.

    about your crash after shabbat -- maybe try having a melaveh malka after havdala with a few friends.

    a lot of yeshivas start boys on gemara very early, almost to the exclusion of all else. the problem with this is that the gemara expects you to know all of tanach by heart, which is why the quotes are often fragments of psukim, even though the entire pasuk is actually being considered by the gemara -- it's just written in a very shorthand form. while it's handy to have a tanach around to look the psukim up, it would be a lot better to be able to recognize the quote off the bat, as well as it's context. also, there's a lot more to being a good jew than just knowing how to learn gemara -- halacha and hashkafa are also important to know how to interact with the world outside the four walls of the beit midrash.



    ReplyDelete
  5. I will say that I'm more motivated to respond when it's a description of your daily life and interesting things therein vs. lengthy posts about your beliefs (partly because I guess I'm somewhat familiar with them already?)

    I like discussions with a Devil's Advocate as much as the next person - though I'm strongly against the paradigm of gemara and only gemara. Strong Tanach skills shouldn't be downplayed. And yeah, all I can suggest re post Shabbat blues is some healthy interaction with peers, if you can get it. Obviously I don't have enough information to be sure that this is a good, relevant, not counterproductive suggestion, but with my level of information here &c. &c.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What is gemara? How does your life during the week, differ from life on Shabbat? What makes the period after Shabbat, such a let down? I think shorter posts that are more descriptive are interesting. I haven't had a chance to reply to the last post yet. I think it is more interesting to have conversations too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the feedback! I'll try to write shorter posts in the future, and include at least a little about yeshiva life alongside.

    Gemara is an edited record of about four hundred years of debate on the Mishna in the academies of Babylon, compiled around the year 600. The Mishna is a compilation of teachings from the previous centuries' rabbis in Eretz Yisrael. Together, they form the Talmud. While the importance of talmud to Judaism is hard to overstate, and its study is a pleasure, it is often prioritized (for men) at the expense of other aspects of a Jewish education that ought not to be neglected. Luckily, contra Rabbi Feldman, the yeshiva is not so beholden to that practice. You have only four to five hours of mandatory gemara per day. Nach (prophets and hagiographa) gets short shrift, but we have plenty of time for independent study.

    I'll try to get a post up about Shabbat at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ethan,
    Motzai Shabbos blues are the standard for yeshiva boys. I remember one MS coming back to yeshiva from an amazing shabbos somewhere in Yerushalayim and being not in the mood for ANYthing.

    My suggestion: Basketball, or any physical activity.

    Behatzlacha, and thank you for writing these posts!

    Yehoshua

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mazel tov on Gemara progress. Hope you're enjoying the new class.
    Sorry to hear about your post-Shabbat letdown, & am interested to hear that it's a common malady. I hope that you can find some way to use havdalah as a time of gentler reentry and transition, of welcoming the week ahead...really like the idea of getting together with friends, exercise...maybe a shared walk might help you breathe easier and feel more replenished by Shabbat than bereft by its ending.
    And now for me to respond to your post on women....

    ReplyDelete
  10. As you can tell, I have finally succeeded in creating a Google profile which will allow me to post freely to your blog. I would like to put in a plug for continued thought-provoking posts - I love them and have only been remiss in responding because I was having difficulty with the technology. But I understand that a dialogue is not what you are after - you want to keep in touch with all your friends state-side. So maybe you can just do a longer post once a month to honor your father, and the rest of the time keep it shorter.

    I think the idea of physical activity to combat the MS blues is right on target, and not just on Saturday afternoon. This would have the side benefit of giving you more exercise, too, which I'm guessing is not high on the Yeshiva's scheduling priority list. You should make time for a good long walk at least every other day - so important for both physical and emotional health.

    ReplyDelete